National Summer Camps Program
This year marks the 9th year the National Summer Camps Program is offered to dependents of serving military families of the Canadian Armed Forces Community. The National Summer Camps Program is an extremely popular grant program in which eligible serving military families receive reimbursement for their dependents to attend an accredited summer camp of their choice.
Thanks to the generous contributions from donors across Canada, Support Our Troops sends nearly 500 kids to camp each summer.
By participating in camps, children have the chance to feel like they belong, boost their confidence, and feel more in control of their lives.
The 2022 camp grant applications will open online on April 30, 2022
. Please note that Support Our Troops prioritizes first-time applicants.
The following summer camp grants are available:
- Up to maximum $500 towards day camp for each dependent
- Up to maximum $700 towards residential camp for each dependent
- Up to maximum $1,100 towards residential OR day camp for a special needs dependent
New this year: To allow for more flexibility for families, there is no longer a “one week of camp” restriction on the grants but each pre-approved dependent will still receive only one grant per summer to cover all receipts, up to the maximum approved in their chosen camp category (Day/Residential/Special Needs Day or Residential).
All eligible applicants will be considered for funding but Support Our Troops prioritizes first-time applicants.
Who is eligible?
Supporting documents required at the time of application
Dependents of serving Canadian Armed Forces members who are currently deployed; scheduled for deployment this year; on a prolonged course or training program; or serving away from their families.
Copy of deployment message for current year
Copy of prolonged training course or tasking record for current year
Email/letter from the Unit Commanding Officer or Deputy Commanding Officer supporting the current year deployment
Dependents of serving ill or injured members of the Canadian Armed Forces currently being supported through the Canadian Armed Forces Transition Units and Transition Centres (CAF TU/CAF TC).
Copy of posting message to the CAF TU/CAF TC
Email/letter from the CAF TU/CAF TC outlining support for camp attendance
Copy of Member Personnel Record Resume (MPRR) indicating diagnosis of illness or injury.
Bereaved dependents of deceased Canadian Armed Forces members.
No documentation required.
Special needs dependents of serving Canadian Armed Forces members
one sibling per special needs dependent
Diagnosis letter from a medical organization or representative
Copy of Member Personnel Record Resume (MPRR) indicating dependents
Currently serving military families who do not fit the above eligibility but have dealt with other unique challenges or circumstances may still be considered if recommended by their Chain of Command
Email/letter of nomination from the Unit Commanding Officer or Deputy Commanding Officer
- For each dependent attending camp, complete a Support Our Troops National Summer Camps Grant Application Form ONLINE (Apply Now button will appear below on opening)
- The applications must include prospective camps and costs
- Applications* will be reviewed by the Support Our Troops Camps Program Coordinator
- All successful applicants will be notified by email with the details of their grant and further instructions for reimbursement
*Please note that Support Our Troops prioritizes first-time applicants.
Receiving the Grant:
Please note that grants are distributed AFTER attendance at camp. Following the camper’s return from camp, you will need to provide the following to receive reimbursement:
- Camp invoices/receipts indicating proof of payment
- Proof of attendance, including your child’s descriptive testimonial along with a photo or a letter from the camp.
The last day to submit paid invoices and proof of attendance is September 30, 2022. Missing this deadline could result in forfeiting your grant.
The grant money will be distributed as a direct payment to your bank account, which may take four to six weeks.
If you choose to register for camp prior to receiving a grant approval and pay a non-refundable deposit, you are responsible for this fee, if your grant is not approved.
- Grants are intended to help with the cost of camp fees only. Other use of these funds will be subjected to the Code of Service Discipline
- Support Our Troops prioritizes first-time applicants.
- Grants are distributed as only ONE per dependent, per summer up to a maximum grant amount
- Reserve Force members must be on a current contract of 90 days or more
- Support Our Troops is not responsible for reimbursement of any fees or charges related to the cancellation of any summer camp. For the 2022 camp season, all applying families are encouraged to verify with their camp of choice, information on any specific cancellation policies, and/or related charges
Residential or day camps must be accredited by federal, provincial or municipal camp associations.
- Residential or day camps may include Personnel Support Program (PSP) or municipally run programs.
- Support Our Troops is not responsible for reimbursement of any fees or charges related to the cancellation of any summer camp. For the 2022 camp season, all applying families are encouraged to verify with their camp of choice, information on any specific cancellation policies, and/or related charges.
Accredited Camp Associations:
I have collected all of the required information:
- CAF member/parent and dependent information
- Information on the prospective camp, including the cost of camp
- Documents supporting eligibility
I am ready to....