National Summer Camps Program
We are celebrating! For 10 years, the National Summer Camps Program has offered children of eligible, serving military families of the Canadian Armed Forces Community the opportunity to receive reimbursement grants to attend an accredited summer camp of their choice.
Thanks to the generous contributions from donors across Canada, Support Our Troops sends nearly 400 kids to camp each summer.
By participating in camps, children have the chance to feel like they belong, boost their confidence, and feel more in control of their lives.
The 2023 camp grant applications will open online on March 20, 2023 and close once the limited funding has been exhausted
. Please note that Support Our Troops prioritizes first-time applicants.
The following summer camp grants are available:
- Up to maximum $700 towards day/residential camp for each child
- Up to maximum $1,100 towards day/residential camp for a special needs child
Note: To allow more flexibility for families, maximum grant amounts per child, per summer, will be maintained, without week restrictions.
All eligible applicants will be considered for funding but Support Our Troops prioritizes first-time campers.
Please review the program criteria for participation along with required supporting documentation below:
Child of a Canadian Armed Forces member serving away from their families:
- Deployment/ prolonged training/ attached posting message – current OR scheduled in 2023
Bereaved child of a deceased Canadian Armed Forces member:
- No documentation required
Child of a serving ill or injured member of the Canadian Armed Forces
- Posting message to CAFTU/ CAFTC
- Email/letter from the CAF TU/CAF TC outlining support for camp attendance
Special needs child and/or one sibling per special needs child of a serving CAF member:
- Diagnosis letter from a medical organization or representative
Currently serving military families who do not fit the above eligibility but have dealt with other unique challenges, may still be considered if recommended
- Copy of MPRR indicating dependents
by their Chain of Command:
- Nomination email/letter from the Unit Commanding Officer or Deputy Commanding Officer supporting the nomination
Receiving the Grant:
- For each child attending camp, complete a Support Our Troops National Summer Camps Grant Application Form ONLINE (Apply Now button will appear below on opening)
- The applications must include prospective camps and costs
- Applications will be reviewed by the Support Our Troops Camps Program Coordinator
- All successful applicants will be notified by email with the details of their grant and further instructions for reimbursement
Please note that grants are distributed AFTER
attendance at camp. Following the camper’s return from camp, you will need to provide the following to receive reimbursement:
- Camp invoices/receipts indicating proof of payment
- Banking information
The grant money will be distributed as a direct payment to your bank account, which may take four to six weeks.
The last day to submit paid invoices is September 30, 2023. Missing this deadline could result in forfeiting your grant.
If you choose to register for camp prior to receiving a grant approval and pay a non-refundable deposit, you are responsible for this fee, if your grant is not approved.
- Grants are intended to help with the cost of camp fees only. Other use of these funds will be subjected to the Code of Service Discipline
- Grants are distributed as only ONE per child, per summer up to a maximum grant amount
- Reserve Force members must be on a current contract of 180 days or more
- Support Our Troops is not responsible for reimbursement of any fees or charges related to the cancellation of any summer camp. For the 2023 camp season, all applying families are encouraged to verify with their camp of choice, information on any specific cancellation policies, and/or related charges
- Residential or day camps should be accredited by federal, provincial or municipal camp associations. However, parents can choose camps other than those listed below as accreditation is a recommendation and may not be available in all locations. This is a courtesy list to help parents begin their search for camps. Other possible camp options could be Personnel Support Program (PSP) or YMCA camps, municipality or city run camps, or local private camps e.g., arts, sports, horse riding or outdoor adventure camps.
- Residential or day camps MUST be registered, reputable businesses, with legitimate summer camps that are advertised as camps. Please check your chosen camp's safety guidelines, cancellation policies and their ability to provide an official paid camp receipt that is mandatory for reimbursement.
Accredited Camp Associations:
Canadian Camping Association- http://www.ccamping.org/
BC Camping Association- http://www.bccamping.org
Alberta Camping Association- http://www.albertacamping.com
Saskatchewan Camps Association- http://www.saskcamps.ca
Manitoba Camping Association- http://www.mbcamping.ca
Ontario Camps Association- http://www.ontariocampsassociation.ca
Association des camps du Québec- https://campsquebec.com/ (FR) http://camps.qc.ca/en/parents-et-enfants/accueil (EN)
New Brunswick Camping Association- http://www.nbcamping.ca
Camping Association of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island- http://www.canspei.ca/
Newfoundland/Labrador Camping Association- http://www.ccamping.org/contact-us/provincial-camping-associations
I have collected all of the required information:
- CAF member/parent and dependent information
- Information on the prospective camp, including the cost of camp
- Documents supporting eligibility
I am ready to....