George and Helen Vari Foundation Education Bursary Program
Helping our serving woman and men achieve their academic goals
The George and Helen Vari Foundation’s gift of $1 million to Support Our Troops established the George and Helen Vari Canadian Armed Forces Education Fund to support education for Regular and Reserve force Canadian Armed Forces members. The education bursary program complements the Canadian Armed Forces Education Reimbursement Program and eases the financial burden for members pursuing their academic goals.
Mr. and Mrs. Vari came to Canada after the 1956 Hungarian revolution. A civil engineer, George became a successful international real estate developer. Mr. Vari credited his education and the opportunities that Canada provided as the keys to his success, stating that “with an education and a country like Canada, you can do anything.”
Mrs. Vari is a lifelong supporter of education, as well as a person committed to ensuring students of all abilities and backgrounds have opportunities to prosper. She is the Honorary Colonel of Toronto Scottish Regiment.
Support Our Troops administers and distributes the education bursaries from the annual interest generated from the George and Helen Vari Canadian Armed Forces Education Fund.
The George and Helen Vari Foundation offers education bursaries* every spring to eligible applicants in the following amounts:
*A bursary is a monetary award that is granted on the basis of financial need as opposed to academic achievement and does not have to be repaid.
**The number of bursaries available per year is dependent on the fund’s accrued interest. Should no qualified applicant apply, the interest can be distributed in subsequent years.
- One $3,000 bursary will be allocated to the Toronto Scottish Regiment every year.
- Several $3,000 bursaries will be allocated to active members of the Canadian Armed Forces who meet the eligibility criteria.**
Regular or Reserve force members attending college or university on a part-time or full-time basis to advance their education.
Toronto Scottish Regiment
Reserve and Regular Force CAF Members
- Receive a referral from your Toronto Scottish Regiment superior.
- Complete and submit the application form to receive the $3,000 bursary.
- Support Our Troops will process the applications and contact the study bursary recipient.
- Support Our Troops will distribute the study grant to the chosen recipient prior to the start of the fall semester.
- Complete and submit the application form to be considered for a $3,000 bursary.
- The Bursary Selection Committee will assess eligible applicants and select recipients.
- If there are no eligible applicants, the bursary funds will be distributed the following year.
- Support Our Troops will process the applications and contact the study bursary recipients.
- Support Our Troops will distribute the study bursary to the chosen recipients prior to the start of the fall semester.
We are currently not accepting applications.