Special Needs Grants
Enhancing access to healthcare and support for children with special needs in military families.
Because of the unique nature of their lifestyles, Canadian military families can experience a great deal of stress in finding and receiving appropriate healthcare. Newly posted military families often find themselves on wait lists for medical care. For a military family with a special needs child the challenges can be truly daunting.
Beyond significant wait times, military families caring for a child with special needs often lose access to critical services such as occupational therapy, speech language pathology, or physiotherapy when relocating. As a result, a child can go without specialized care for extended periods of time.
Military families with special needs dependents can apply year-round for a Special Needs Grant to assist with assessments and reassessments, as well as to offset some of the extraordinary costs associated with things like specialized devices, respite care, therapy, and medical travel.
Eligible applicants can apply to receive the following grants:
- Assessments and reassessments: a grant up to $1,000 to cover residual amounts not covered by federal, provincial or local resources, or personal insurance.
- Other: a grant up to $1,000 to offset costs associated with assistive devises, respite are, therapy, medical travel, prescriptions not covered by insurance, etc.
Regular and Reserve Force serving members residing with a dependent family member with a diagnosed physical, intellectual, or emotional condition requiring special medical or educational services are eligible for a Special Needs Grant.
- Complete Schedules A & F (required) and submit to your local SISIP Financial Counsellor, MFRC, or the Support Our Troops contact in your area.
- Receipts will be requested after you have submitted your initial forms.
- Applications for special needs assistance will be assessed according to the following factors:
- family composition
- access to local resources
- complexity of the dependent’s needs
- extraordinary costs related to the special need
- impact on the family
- family income (not necessarily a determining factor, but will assist in prioritizing applications to ensure those with the greatest need are addressed first).
Special Needs Grants are for serving members only.
Support Our Troops Fund Coordinator
Apply for a Special Needs Grant